Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Stocking Up with Freezer Meals

The other day I wrote a post about one of our favorite freezer meals, ham pot pie. One meal, though, isn't enough to stock my freezer!  My freezer was nearly empty and I love having meals ready to get me through the Christmas season. 

I tried a few new things this time around.  I've found that lots of chicken dinners get old fast, and that's primarily the recipes I find.  This batch was quick to make and inexpensive.  In addition to the ham pot pie, I made slow cooker meatloaf, white chicken chili, pot roast, pasta bolognese and southwest roll-ups.  



Recipe #1: Slow Cooker Meatloaf  I've never tried it before, but it sounds great.  I bought a 3 lb. package of ground beef so that I could make several to freeze.  Most everyone has a favorite meatloaf recipe, I'm sure all kinds of variations would work.  I love the idea of it roasting in a crockpot all day.  Another good idea is to make individual meatloaves in a muffin tin, bake them, then freeze.  Individual servings can be microwaved quickly.  

Recipe #2: White chicken chili  I have made this recipe before, my husband loved it, so it's our new white chili recipe.  I've never frozen it and was concerned about freezing the cream of chicken soup mixture.  Then I realized I freeze casseroles with that all the time, so I'm sure it'll be fine.  It's definitely worth a try!

Recipe #3: Pioneer Woman's Pot Roast  Since we go to church on Christmas Eve in the afternoon, I think I'll have this pot roast in the crockpot,  ready for us when we get home.  That evening we have managed to keep for just myself, husband and daughter and so we have a great relaxed time, opening Christmas PJ's and watching a movie before the chaos begins!  It's one of my favorite parts of Christmas. 

Recipe #4: Pasta Bolognese I have made this recipe before and it's a winner.  You may wonder why bother with a pasta sauce when you can just open a jar of Prego and have a fast meal.  This is way better, that's why.  It uses sausage, which is a great alternative to all the chicken and ground beef meals.  I cut back on the red pepper flakes, though, because it was just about too spicy for my daughter.  She loved it anyway, just drank a ton of water with it!

Recipe #5: Southwest Roll-Ups These are great for lunch. I make a ton of these and freeze them individually.  In fact, I skip the baking step all together. Just roll them up, wrap them in foil or plastic wrap, then store in a gallon size freezer baggie.  When ready to eat, microwave for 1-2 minutes.  Great for a SAHM lunch, especially if you're prone to skipping lunch!


Check out future posts with other recipes and tips for successfully freezing meals!


Blogger's Update:  Since this original post, we've tried the two recipes that were new.  The meatloaf was great, my occasionally picky daughter loved it!  I'll definitely make it again.  The white chicken chili was also great, no problems freezing it with the cream of chicken soup.   





 





No comments:

Post a Comment