Sunday, January 5, 2014

Craft Room Do-Over and Over

We were in desperate need of a place to put all of our arts and crafts supplies.  My daughter loves to make art, write stories, draw pictures, you name it!  Fortunately, we had a terrific room in our house that was perfect.  When I started this project about a year ago, it was just an empty room holding all the things from our move that we didn't know what to do with.  Basically a giant closet.  It's in kind of a high traffic area, so I just couldn't go on any more hollering at everyone, "I told you to keep that door shut!

 
I began by painting the room a light gray color, found a desk and shelving at Ikea, a great little rug, some curtains and I was able to pull together a cute little craft room for me and my daughter. 



Well, almost.  While the space was great, it rarely was clean and organized (a true sign that you don't have the right storage).  A clean craft room draws my daughter like a beacon, begging to be covered in glitter glue and paper cuttings on the floor.  In fact, when we had our adoption home study, our entire house was impeccable, except for this room.  I just felt like cleaning it would have been a huge lie!  Can we please keep the door shut?!  



 
I have now completed the third and final go round of the craft room and I learned a couple of things along the way.  I didn't have near enough storage.  Did you notice all the plastic storage bins I have squeezed in between the cabinets and on the floor?  The first remedy was to buy another matching cabinet from Ikea, and to buy a door!  This is from the Besta line. 

 
With this new cabinet I was motivated to make everything fit, plus it didn't have to look perfect because I bought a door!

I emptied all of the plastic bins and thoroughly cleaned things out.  By eliminating coloring books, consolidating bead kits and keeping everything to one bin per item, I was able to cut things back considerably.  If it didn't fit, we didn't need it!  I used a plastic three drawer bin for stickers (cleaned out a ton of stickers!), stamps and craft supplies like googly eyes and buttons.  Since we are road trippers, I used a shoebox container for the road trip supplies.  Things like Twistables, dry erase markers & erasers, notebooks, etc.  I was able to get by using storage bins I already had.  Plus, I was able to use this incredible memo board I got at a thrift store for $0.75!  I used industrial Velcro and stuck it to the door.  Which would have worked great had the door shut completely afterward.  So I guess I'll use that board somewhere else!  Oh well. 


With my original cabinet, I just reorganized.  Mostly I was able to trade items from one bin to another.  We had way more bead supplies than I thought, so it got a bigger box, and so forth.  I found the plastic stripe bins and the polka dot bins at Lowes last year.  The pink boxes I found at Ikea last weekend!  The orange box is temporary!  It has assorted art work I want to save and I can't find a box that fits that space. 


 
It was so handy to have this desk over Christmas.  A great place to wrap, create and do Pintrest projects.  Okay, so this space never works out like that. 


I cleaned everything off, even the bulletin board.  Once I did that, I didn't want to put anything back.  I even placed the printer under the desk! 


My favorite storage is the Bygel rails ($2.99) and containers ($0.99) from Ikea to hold all the art supplies.  Along with three jars, that hold crayons, glitter glue and glue sticks.  


  
I'm finally happy with the finished product and feel like I can go in there myself  and actually work on something!  

 
One last look at the finished product...

 










No comments:

Post a Comment